Microsoftie Declares MSXAML an OPEN LANGUAGE that is XML COMPLIANT.
Gerald Bauer
2005-04-25 17:46:45 UTC
Hello,

allow me to highlight the comments by Joe Marini (Microsoft) that declares MSXAML as
an open language.

Joe writes:

XAML is an OPEN LANGUAGE. It is XML COMPLIANT. How many times do I have to say it?

Joe Marini also comments on Netscape XUL/Mozilla XUL. Joe writes:

I've been in this business for FIFTEEN years. Let me tell you a secret: most of your "open
standards" today started out as somebody's attempt to create a proprietary technology
that failed. Mozilla XUL started out as Netscape XUL, which was a PROPRIETARY invention
intended originally only to run inside the Netscape browser and thus create Navigator
lock-in. I know this because, see, I actually TALKED with Netscape AT LENGTH about this
way back when I was on Dreamweaver and they wanted us to provide support for it.

JavaScript ALSO started out as a PROPRIETARY Netscape invention, and was in fact called
LiveScript originally until they decided to try and piggy-back off of Java's momentum and
renamed it JavaScript.

Both of these technologies only became "open" when the business cases for keeping them
closed collapsed, not because of any altruism on the part of the developers.

CSS is nice for web pages, but the fact is that from an architectural viewpoint, it has so
many structural problems that need addressing. You can't extend it. It's not
compositional. I could go on and on.

XAML is XML. PERIOD. We could have used a format that wasn't an open W3C spec-
compliant one, but we didn't. It was important to us that we base it on an open W3C
standard.

Source: http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2005/04/14/avalonxaml_f/comments

Do you agree with Microsoftie Joe Marini that MSXAML is an open language by the virtue
that it's encoded in XML?

- Gerald

United XAML | http://unitedxaml.org
XAML Forum & News | http://xamlnews.com