Sitecore - Commercial Content management system built using XAML
Gerald Bauer
2005-06-24 02:29:13 UTC
Hello,

The Sitecore website states:

Sitecore V5 is the first content management system in the world to support and use the
XAML concept. XAML is an abstraction of the user interface that allows easy integration
and reuse of small building blocks, for instance html fragments and web-controls on the
web platform and Windows form-controls on the Windows platform. XAML is device
independent, toolable, easy to read and write, and separates UI from code logic. Moreover,
combined with the Sitecore discoverable API, and extensive libraries of XAML and web-
controls, development times can be slashed radically.

And Lars Fløe Nielsen - a Solution Architect for Sitecore - writes in a newsgroup posting:

You are almost right regarding the support for the XAML concept.

However, Sitecore does support real XAML. We implemented a XAML parser that converts
XAML to .NET, as you are quite right that the Longhorn (and hence the WinFX) hasn't been
released yet.

The parser supports most of the XAML model with these exceptions:
* We do not currently support the resources concept.
* We do not currently support the animation concept.
* We have (naturally) not imported the full XAML control hierarchy that
the WinFX in future will supply.

As the entire Sitecore application are based on XAML controls, we have off course added a
number of controls (around 100 controls), that can be used for modifying our own
product, but also for building web sites.

Furthermore we have found it odd (and a lack of functionality), that XAML controls don't
support parameters and embedded XAML controls, so we added this as an option.

We've also added a few more (nice) features to the XAML definition, but I don't want to
reveal these now as we consider them as part of our competitive edge.

If you know other products using XAML technology, please let us know.

- Gerald

United XAML | http://unitedxaml.org
XAML Forum & News | http://xamlnews.com